Ready, Set, Read! is a literacy skill building initiative engaging elementary age students and their teachers as part of school-based programs.
All RSR! sessions are planned in partnership with school-based literacy coordinators and classroom teachers, as aligned with district curriculum objectives and practices. In series of 3-4 week thematic cycles, Husky Sport engages students in Read-A-Loud’s lead by UConn staff and students, followed by interactive lessons that integrate activities, crafts, or technology with the aim to encourage and build a passion for reading and empower literacy skill development. All activities align with the themes of nutrition education (sections of My Plate – Fruit, Vegetables, Dairy, Protein and Grains), physical activities and game-play (i.e., volleyball, soccer, track and field, baseball) and life skill development (school-based PBIS core values).
Points of Emphasis for the Ready, Set, Read! Program:
- Engage students and create excitement around reading
- Engage students in nutrition education and physical activity readings
- Support the on-going literacy efforts of teachers and school staff
- Incentives that encourage healthy choices
- Consistent Husky Sport and UConn student presence
- Build relationships between Husky Sport personnel and students, school staff and families
- Evaluation of programming and suggestions for improvement